Winter Warming Tips for Pets
Author: Amanda Date Posted:23 June 2020
Whether you love the drop in temperature or dread the chill in the air, it is a good idea to be prepared to keep your pets comfortable in the chilly weather. Depending on where you live in Australia or Worldwide will play a large part on the preparations you need to make for your furry friend.
The Vet Shed has prepared some handy information to keep your furry friend as comfortable as possible.
SORE JOINTS AND STIFF LIMBS
Like humans the cold weather can wreak havoc on your pet's diseased joints, mobility and cause a great deal of discomfort for them. With preparation and planning, you will be able to ensure you keep your cat and dog comfortable throughout these chilly months.
WHAT IS ARTHRITIS?
- Osteoarthritis in dogs and cats is a common and painful condition. The most common arthritis is the type that is related to age, or wear and tear. When the cartilage between the joints begins to erode over your pet’s life or due to an injury, the bones can come in contact with each other, causing great discomfort for your pet. Although arthritis is a progressive disease without a cure, some of the pain can be alleviated; in some cases, the disease’s progress can even be slowed.
- Horses can also suffer from lameness due to a joint injury or age related changes. This can lead to Osteoarthritis and cause your horse great discomfort and pain.
- Osteoarthritis is one of the most common diseases in canines, affecting approximately 25% of the total population
- Dogs over 7 years are 50% more likely to suffer from arthritis.
WHAT ARE THE SIGNS THAT MY PET MAY BE SUFFERING FROM ARTHRITIS?
Difficulty rising from their bed
Licking of limbs
Decrease willingness to play or jump
Favouring of one limb
Difficulty going up and down stairs
Reduced stamina with exercise
Unwillingness to jump, cantor or gallop
WHAT CAN I DO TO ALLEVIATE MY PET’S DISCOMFORT?
SUPPLEMENTS AND MEDICATION
There are many supplements that can help ease the inflammation and discomfort on your pets’ joints. Don't let your pet suffer unnecessarily when there are a range of products that can help keep the bounce in their step!
4Cyte for Dogs is a revolutionary product designed to work to improve joint health and reduce arthritic symptoms. This product contains Epiitalis, which is a proprietary plant extract patented for its ability to proliferate chondrocyte cells for cartilage regeneration.
4cyte is easy to administer to your dog once daily in chicken flavoured granules.
4cyte for horses is a great product to use to help address symptoms such as stiffness, lameness, an unwillingness to jump and mild to moderate osteoarthritis. This is available in two formulations: a raspberry flavoured granule and an apple flavoured gel.
*4cyte is currently not available for our feline friends in Australia* Please refer to the products below on what products are available
Glucosamine and Chondroitin are used in many other products, much like in human joint supplements. These two ingredients help to nourish and rebuild cartilage. Other supplements that have proven useful for arthritis include green-lipped mussel extract and omega-3 fatty acids to help relieve inflammation and joint pain.
Products that may be beneficial to your dog or cat come in a variety of formulations: including:
Powders which can be mixed with food
- Joint Guard Powder for Dogs, Cats and Horses
- Sasha’s Blend Powder
- Glyde Powder for Dogs
- Pernaease Powder for Dogs
- Rose Hip Vital for Dogs
- Shark Net Joint Supplement for Horses
- Cosequin Powder for Horses
Chews & Treat formulations
- Paw Osteocare Chews
- Joint Guard Liver Chews for Dogs
- Seaflex for Dogs
- Seaflex for Cats
- Glyde Mobility Chews for Dogs
- Vetalogica Feline Joint Support
- Osteosupport Tablets for Dogs
- OsteoSupport Tablets for Cats
- Cosequin Tablets for Dogs
- Pernease Powder
- OsteoForte for Dogs & Cats
A trip to the local veterinarian is recommended if you are unsure if your pet is suffering from arthritis, or you are unsure which product would be beneficial to their symptoms.
EXERCISE & PLAY
- Ensure your pet’s weight is kept under control – carrying excess weight can place extra strain on joints, especially if your pet already suffers from arthritis. It may be a good idea to check with your veterinarian if your dog or cat needs a specially formulated diet for weight loss or weight control. Hill’s Pet Nutrition have a great new diet for dogs and cats called ‘Metabolic Advanced Weight Solution’ especially designed for obese pets.
- Maintain your pet’s mobility with regular exercise. It is much better to take your dog on short, gentle walk (preferably no hills) than erase exercise from their routine. Cats can benefit from short play times with their owners with the use of Frolicat products or Go Cat Go Wands Or T & T Wands to entice play.
BUT MY PET HAS FUR, THEY DON’T FEEL THE COLD!
Just because our pets have fur does not mean that they are perfectly comfortable in the cold weather. Left outside pets can become cold, wet and may develop hypothermia. Even our Hairless & Short Coated Breeds, Puppies and Older Pets feel the cold.
BEDDING & SHELTER
- Elevate your pet’s bed off the floor to make it more comfortable for them to rise from their bedding.
- If your dog sleeps outside ensure they have a kennel that is elevated, is protected from the elements and contains warm comfortable bedding.
- Avoid cold drafts near doorways
Beds specifically designed to help ease joint pain and stiffness such as YD Osteo Bedding are a fantastic option, and your pet will thank you for it. Made with memory foam, they contour to your pet's body, therefore optimising support it can give, eliminating all pressure points your pet's body is subjected to. Zeez Ortho Memory Foam Mats are also a great option for a spot for you pet to rest.
Cats love a good hiding spot and warm place to sleep. The T & T Cat Caves are an ideal option for your feline.
- Aspen Self Warming Beds have a layer of self warming material that reflects your pet's body heat with no electricity required
- Use heating pads such as Snugglesafe Heat Pads for dogs and cats (Cute Covers available) or Warm A Pet Deluxe Pads to give your pet a warm spot to rest and ease sore joints
- Ensure your horse has protection from the elements. Horses can quickly lose body condition when they are using their energy to keep warm.
DRESSING THE PART
Dog coats and vests are not just a fashion statement. They provide your dog with comfort and relief from the winter chill, just as a jumper does for us.
We have a range of dog coats that are not only stylish, but also are functional and keep your dog feeling nice and warm. Although breeds such as Siberian Huskies, Alaskan Malamutes and St Bernards may be able to tolerate the drop in temperature, dogs that have difficulty retaining heat due to their natural body shape and short hair, such as Whippets and Italian Greyhounds and particularly those housed outside will certainly benefit from winter apparel. So too will puppies and senior dogs suffering from chronic illnesses including arthritis. We have so many dog coats - Shop them here!
Horses will also benefit from a winter rug during the colder months. These can provide protection from wind and rain and help a horse maintain body condition. It is important to note that the rugs should be checked daily.
Check out these great Winter Rugs for Horses Here
We hope with these handy tips that you and your pet enjoy the winter months ahead!
4cyte provides the ultimate joint protection for your dog or horse! This product has revolutionised joint care products by including the ingredient - Epiitalis, which is a plant oil extract known for its joint and cartilage regenerative properties. Check out the hundreds of 5 star reviews 4cyte has by clicking on a product. 4cyte granules and liquid gel for dogs 4cyte has 2 options for dogs. The 4cyte granules or the 4cyte liquid epiitalis gel. 4cyte granules and 4cytel liquid both contain the plant oil extract epiitalis however the 4cyte granules also contain marine ingredients which are proven to assist with joint health. The ...
When it comes to grooming Absorbine has been around for generations providing the best possible skin and coat care possible. Whether your horse or pony sees the showring or not the results Absorbine gives will make you want to show them off to everyone! These products make it effortless to clean, condition, brighten and moisturise mails, tails and coats! ...
Acavallo strives to create products for the welfare and protection of your horses. With quality products, you know that you will only be getting the most superior items for your horses - which is what they deserve! As horse lovers ourselves, we use acavallo products on our horses and we do love them. If not trust us, trust some of the top riders in the world that are using Acavallo such as Charlotte Dujardin, Scott Brash, Valentina Truppa and many more! ...
The adaptil range aims to comfort and reassure dogs and puppies in times of stress and anxiety, making them feel safe, calm and relaxed. Adaptil replicates pheremones given off by the mother dog to their pups which is scientifically proven to make dogs and puppies less stressed. ...
Advance pet foods have been scientifically developed to meet all of the needs of Aussie dogs like yours! Combining top quality ingredients and world leading research Advance have created some of the top pet foods on the market. Take a look at their huge range, and see which one would suit your pet best! ...
Just because you can't see them, it doesn't mean that they aren't there. Advantage has been around for a long time providing Australian pets with the best care possible. Help your pets out today with Advantage! ...
Unfortunately, just one paralysis tick bite can be fatal for our furry friends. Advantix is here to help, treating fleas and ticks in one simple spot on application fort-nightly. It's fast acting formula means it kills fleas within 3 - 5 minutes! The best part is its water ressistant so you and your dog can still have fun in the sun and water while still being protected - what is not to love! ...
Advocate is an easy monthly spot on treatment for your pets! It is simply applied to your pets back and will absorb through the skin into the bloodstream protecting your pet just like that! Meaning Advocate provides convinient, continuous broad protection against numerous parasites depending on whether you are after the dog or the cat application. ...
Anitone is a completley natural trace mineral supplement for all animals! Anitone is the only feed supplement on the market that is fermented in a process that mimics natural digestive processes, and is therefore highly palatable and relished by most animals. Anitone contains not only essential minerals, but also amino acids, and Vitamins A, D and Vitamin E. ...
Aristopet provides a range of animals the broad spectrum care that they need on a daily basis. With products for birds, dogs, cats and small animals, Aristopet knows what they are doing, and they do it well. ...
Aussie Companion Parrot Supplies has been around for long enough to know what toys birds love! All of these toys are made with the intent to enrich your birds life in one way or another. They make creative, one of a kind bird toys that your bird will play with for hours on end. ...
All Aussie Dog Products are made safe, non toxic and durable! These products will stimulate the natural instincts of taste, sight, smell, touch and noise. Your pet will absolutely love these toys. ...
Bare Medical Supplies are quality manufacturers of medical and surgical supplies for pets. You can be rest assured that these products are manufactured to the highest quality standards. Bare medical supplies are perfect to have in your first aid kit as you never know when an emergency may arise. ...
Beau pets is an Australian brand that supplies a wide variety of collars and leads for your pets! They have been helping Australians look after their pets for over 50 years! So you know you will be getting the best. ...
Biogroom is specially formulated for pet lovers! With a huge range of shampoos and conditioners for a range of pets you are sure to find somthing you and your pet will love. Indulge them... ...
PAW by Blackmores is an innovative range of healthcare products for your pet! Each product has been inspired by nature and has been developed by world class vets. From vitamins to shampoos, Blackmores have developed a whole range of products your furry friend will love. ...
Bravecto is a revolutionary advancement in parasite protection for our pets. Bravecto provides long lasting protection in either spot on or chewable for dogs or spot on for cats! More than 80 million doses of Bravecto have been given to pets around the globe - a brand that you can trust. ...
The Charming pet toys are loved by all pets! Charming on the outside and tough on the inside, dogs of all sizes can enjoy the squeaking, crunching and tugging actions of these toys. They come in a huge range of colours and sizes - there is sure to be one your dog will cherish. ...